The Five College America Reads and Counts (ARAC) tutoring program is a collaborative effort between the five college administrators, students, and community members, as well as the Five Colleges, Inc. office working together to insure that all children in the community are reading independently by the end of the third grade.
Enlisted students from Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College and the University of Massachusetts Amherst have joined together in the America Reads/America Counts Program to help area schools and agencies serving elementary age children to obtain math and reading tutors at no cost.
For the past two decades, ARAC has placed hundreds of tutors at over 30 different local schools and community agencies in the five college community, including elementary schools, after-school programs, libraries, and child care services. The response from both the tutors and commuity agencies have been overwhelmingly positive.
Interested in becoming a tutor with America Reads and Counts?
ARAC is working with each of the five colleges to navigate tutoring on a campus by campus basis throughout the Covid-19 Pandemic. Our priority remains to maintain the partnerships established between the Five Colleges and local community agencies, while also adhering to the guidlines established by each campus to prioritize tutor and tutee safty during this time.
Historically, this program has thrived on community engagement and collaboration between the Five Colleges. Although this remains a priority, face to face meetings between the campuses are currently prohibited to help maintain social bubbles at each campus. Therefore, all Spring 2021 introductory (overview) trainings have been shifted to a remote platform. Overview trainings will occur via Zoom during the month of February 2021 (see America Reads/Counts Training tab).
Tutor Placements Currently Available by College:
*Applicants seeking payment must qualify for federal financial aid.
- UMass Amherst: Student Job Board Listing Spring 2021
- Amherst: Student Employment Page
- Hampshire: Student Employment Page
- Smith: Student Employment Page
- MHC: Student Employment Page
For more information:
Attend one of our Spring 2021 Overview Trainings offered remotely this semster:
Dates will be staggered to accommodate various campus start dates and tutor schedules . OTs have been updated to better meet the needs of tutors serving a variety of in-person, remote, and hybrid student environments. Upon completion of this Form, a confirmation email will be sent with materials and Zoom information.
- Sunday, January 31st @ 7pm (MHC, UMass Amherst, Hampshire Students Only)
- Monday, February 1st @ 7pm (MHC, UMass Amherst, Hampshire Students Only)
- Wednesday, February 3rd @ 7pm (MHC, UMass Amherst, Hampshire Students Only)
- Monday, February 8th @ 7pm (MHC, UMass Amherst, Hampshire Students Only)
- Monday, February 15th @7pm (Five Colleges Welcome)
- Wednesday, February 17th @ 7pm (Smith College Only)
- Sunday, February 21st @ 7pm (Five Colleges Welcome)
- Monday, February 22nd @7pm (Make Up - Five Colleges Welcome)
Register Here! Fill out the the following Google Form to register for a Spring 2021 Overview Training or visit the America Reads/Counts Training tab to the right to learn more!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For updates, facts, FAQ, tips & ticks...
Like us on Facebook and
Follow us on our new Instagram page! @fivecollegearac
Here at Five College ARAC, we encourage tutors to consult the designated policies and practices that pertain to your campus's student employment guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic. If your college permits in person tutoring, please be sure to follow campus guidlines. If your campus policy discourages a return to campus after your travel to a specific location, this restriction would extend to your work study placement. Therefore, you should not return there either until such restrictions are lifted. Please be sure to consult your college's designated website for more information.
- UMass Amherst: https://www.umass.edu/coronavirus
- Hampshire: https://www.hampshire.edu/health-services/updates-on-covid-19-novel-coronavirus
- Smith: https://www.smith.edu/student-life/health-wellness/coronavirus
- MHC: https://www.mtholyoke.edu/health/coronavirus
- Amherst: https://www.amherst.edu/amherst-story/president/statements/node/765758