Program Coordinator, Five College Women’s Studies Research Center
The Five College Consortium seeks an experienced program coordinator to support operation of the Five College Women’s Studies Research Center.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefited position. This position is intended to be an in-person onsite role that may begin as a remote position due to pandemic-related restrictions.
The Five College Women’s Studies Research Center (FCWSRC) encourages engaged, critical feminist scholarship from diverse perspectives. Hosting as many as fifteen scholars and activists from across the globe each year, the center connects these research associates to women's and gender studies faculty from the five institutions through faculty seminars, workshops, and conferences. The FCWSRC program coordinator supports the director, steering committee, and research associates. The coordinator also provides administrative support for and coordination of the operations of the center, including outreach and communications, the research associates program, events, and planning. The coordinator reports to the FCWSRC director, a role typically filled by a faculty member at one of the five institutions.
Importance of Diversity
Five Colleges, Incorporated and its five associated institutions (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst) are committed to supporting and sustaining a diversity of people, backgrounds, experiences, ideas and points of view for the essential contribution this diversity makes to educational missions of our organizations. In support of this commitment Five Colleges requires all of its employees to work cooperatively and effectively with the diversity of people at the colleges (students, faculty members, other employees) and within the organization itself.
- Implement new initiatives and manage ongoing programs and projects of the center, as assigned.
- Manage the research associates program, including promotion, inquiries, application review and selection, and provide orientation and support for the research associate cohort. Maintain records and databases of alums.
- Facilitate the faculty partnerships and mentoring arrangements for research associates and new faculty members, as assigned.
- Coordinate scheduling and arrangements for FCWSRC events both at the center and at other five college locations.
- Produce and coordinate communications for the FCWSRC, including both design and dissemination in electronic, web page, social media, and printed formats, particularly to advertise opportunities at the center and to announce programs of the FCWSRC. Maintain open communications for program coordination with support staff members of Women’s and Gender studies programs and other academic departments and interdisciplinary programs in the five colleges.
- Allocate and monitor spending within the approved FCWSRC budget. Prepare periodic financial reports and budget requests, as assigned. Administer grant funding, including special five college funding, such as for faculty seminars. Draft periodic and final reports on grants and prepare applications and reapplications, as appropriate.
- Coordinate annual donor solicitation and stewardship reports.
- Prepare periodic reports of FCWSRC activities, including annual reports, as assigned, while maintaining all files and archives of the FCWSRC. Support periodic leadership transitions.
- Serve as liaison to FCWSRC’s host campus, including arranging for use of facilities and reporting maintenance needs.
- Hire and supervise student workers, as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including editorial and proofreading skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, including effective multi-tasking.
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed.
- Effectiveness (good interpersonal skills) in working with multiple constituencies and diverse communities, including international guests.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and database management.
- Proficiency in Google Workspace.
- Proficiency in using social media, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience in web page content design, editing, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated interest in developing new and/or additional technical skills.
- Experience with event planning and coordination.
- Experience in budget preparation, expenditure tracking, and reporting.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Capacity to comprehend written and verbal communication.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by telephone, by videoconference, and via email.
- Ability to pass a post-offer background check.
- Ability to comply with Five Colleges, Incorporated’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, or to qualify for an exemption.
- Experience working in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated background in women’s and gender studies, feminist scholarship, or related field.
- Experience in program and project development and management.
- Experience in data collection, data analysis, and data maintenance.
For priority consideration, please apply by August 6. Apply via the Smith College job portal. For your application to be considered complete, please be sure to upload two documents before submitting the application: (1) a current resume and (2) a cover letter. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.