Where can I find directions to the Five Colleges office and its member campuses?

The Five Colleges office is located at 97 Spring Street in downtown Amherst, Massachusetts, two blocks east of the Amherst Common. 
View directions to Five Colleges and its member campuses.

I'm coming in from outside the area; is it possible to see all five campuses in one day, including tours and interviews?

Three of the schools are in Amherst, Massachusetts and the other two are in neighboring towns. It would be possible to do a "drive-by" of each school in one day, but one day is not enough time to take tours and do interviews. To do a tour, an interview, and perhaps visit with some students and faculty members or sit in on a class would take at least half a day on each campus. 
View contact information on tours at each campus.

How close are the campuses to one another?

Three campuses -- AmherstHampshire and UMass Amherst -- are within 10-minute drives of one another in Amherst, Massachusetts. Mount Holyoke is a 20 minute drive from Amherst in South Hadley and Smith, in the city of Northampton, is a 20-minute drive from any of the other campuses.

Top of page


May I apply to more than one college, or will that hurt my chances of getting into one?

Apply to every campus in which you are interested. Each campus makes its own admission and financial aid decisions and does not share its decisions with other campuses.

If I take courses on several campuses, where will my degree be from?

You will enroll at one of the five campuses: Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith or UMass. Grades from classes you take at other Five College campuses will transfer automatically to your home campus and will appear on your transcript. Your degree will be from your home campus.

I'm retired and I've recently moved into the area; can I take classes?

Rules on auditing courses vary from campus to campus. Check with the registrar's office on the campus in which you are interested:
Amherst College registrar 
Hampshire College registrar 
Mount Holyoke College registrar 
Smith College registrar 
UMass Amherst registrar

For information about the Five College Counselor Tour or for information on a Five College representative coming to your area, please visit the Admissions page.

Top of page

Cross Registration: taking courses on another campus

Do many students take many courses on other Five College campuses?

Each year there are about 5,000 course registrations by students taking courses at one of the other four campuses.

As an enrolled student, do I have to pay extra to take a course on another campus?

Not for courses taken during the fall or spring semester. Once you are enrolled on your home campus, you may take courses at no additional cost on the other campuses. The only cost you might encounter would be special fees associated with a course, such as lab fees for a science course or materials fees for a studio art course. (Generally, these are fees also paid by students from that campus.) For courses taken during the summer or January terms on other campuses, you will need to pay, and enrollment may be limited to students on the home campus. 

How do I enroll in a class on another campus and can I enroll after preregistration is over?

Register for classes at a different campus with your home-campus registrar from the beginning of your campus' preregistration period to the end of the add/drop period. During add/drop, you will need to obtain the class instructor's permission to enroll. Besides that, each campus has different rules for incoming students and students taking classes at other campuses. 
View more detailed information about enrolling in a course at another campus.

Is there a maximum number of courses that I can take at the other campuses? 

During preregistration, students may preregister for a maximum of two academic courses at other campuses for the upcoming semester. (Part-time students may have a lower limit.) This preregistration limit may be lifted during add/drop. However, UMass students should check at the Five College Interchange Office in Goodell and students at the other campuses should check with the Registrar’s Office at their home institution to determine if there is a limit on the number of courses you may take at the other campuses in a given semester or overall toward your academic program. You should also check as to whether or not there are restrictions on how a particular course will apply toward your degree.

Note that students from other campuses can take a maximum of two academic courses at Amherst College in a given semester per Amherst College policy.

Where is my official record for Five College cross registration courses?

The official record for any course taken through the Five College Interchange is on the student's home institution transcript. Inquiries brought to the host institution will be referred to the student's home institution.

May men enroll in courses at the women's colleges?

Yes, and they do. Smith and Mount Holyoke are women's colleges, and men from Amherst, Hampshire and UMass Amherst take courses there.

What if I'm on another campus at a meal time?

Students who are on a meal plan on their home campus may eat on another campus as part of their plan. Arrangements must be made in advance. 
View information about meal exchange.

My campus is closed because of bad weather and I'm taking a class at another campus that didn't close. Should I go to class?

If weather conditions are bad enough to close your campus, you probably should not drive to another school. Road conditions will be poor and there will be even less parking available at the campus you are going to. If the buses are running, you may take the bus, but if the weather is worsening, know that there are likely to be significant travel delays and you may not be able to get back to your campus if the buses have to stop running. It is best to call or email your professor right away and explain the circumstances. On mornings when a significant amount of snow has fallen, be sure to check for closures on the homepage of the campus where you'll be attending class.

Are there limitations on taking courses on other campuses during summer or January terms?

Yes. Campuses may limit enrollment in summer and January term courses to their own students. If students from other campuses are allowed to enroll, they will need to pay for the course. 

May I join a club that's on another campus and how to I find them?

Most clubs, intramural sports and extracurricular activities on each campus are open to Five College students. The exception is varsity sports, which in most cases are not open to students from other campuses. 
View each campus' list of student clubs and organizations

Top of page

Getting from one campus to another campus

How can I find a bus schedule?

Bus schedules are available in many locations each campus. You can also find schedules online at the UMass Transit website.

How do I find out when express buses run?

Visit the UMass Transit website for up-to-the minute schedules, or call (413) 545-0056.

I'm taking a class at another campus and I would like to drive my own car. Where may I park?

Parking for student visitors is available but limited on all campuses. See the following links for parking information for each campus. To avoid parking issues, you can take the bus. The Five College PVTA bus, offers free service to campuses, downtowns and malls.

For information about parking at the campuses, click one of the following links:

Amherst College
Hampshire College
Mount Holyoke College
Smith College
UMass Amherst

Top of page


I'm planning to live off campus. Is there a good source for available housing?

UMass Amherst maintains a database of available housing called Off-Campus Housing Referral. Hampshire also maintains a list of area rental agencies. Amherst, Mount Holyoke and Smith jointly manage a limited number of properties that they rent out, primarily to faculty and staff.

I want to rent out my house. Is there a good place to list it?

UMass maintains the Off-Campus Housing Referral website, which lists houses and apartments for rent.

Top of page



How do I add an event to the Five College Calendar of Events?

To qualify for placement on the Five College Calendar of Events, an event must take place on one of the campuses and/or be sponsored by a recognized campus group or Five Colleges, Inc. For more information, visit the Calendar and click on the Add Event button.

How do I find out what is happening on other campuses?

The Five College Calendar of Events includes events from all five campuses that are open to the public. Each campus also has event calendars:
Amherst College events 
Hampshire College events 
Mount Holyoke College events 
Smith College events 
UMass Amherst events

Top of page


Does Five Colleges fund faculty projects?

One-time events can receive limited funding through the Five College Lecture Fund, and annual seminars can receive limited funding through the Five College Faculty Seminar Fund
View other opportunities for funding through Five Colleges.

Does Five Colleges fund student events?

The Five College Student Coordinating Board, composed of student government presidents and other campus representatives, distributes a limited amount of funding to student events that show promise of appealing to a variety of students on all five campuses. For more information, contact Kevin Kennedy. Funding for student events is also available from the Five College Lecture Fund.

Top of page


Credit Union

I wanted the phone number of the Five College Credit Union. Why did I end up here?

Directory assistance occasionally confuses Five Colleges, Incorporated (the consortium) with the UMass/Five College Federal Credit Union (which is not part of the consortium). The number for the credit union is (413) 256-5500.

Top of page


I'm a vendor. How can I sell my product to all five campuses?

Each member of the Five College consortium -- Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts -- is a member of MHEC, New England's largest higher education group purchasing consortium. More information can be found at the MHEC Web site.

Top of page